[chuck-users] chuck for live coding

Jordan Orelli jordanorelli at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 14:22:16 EST 2011

I think what Ronni meant was that he's looking for a ChucK
read-eval-print-loop, like python, irb, or even "php -a" (and of course the
Lisp REPL).  That way you could do something like start out by creating a
UGen and issue a command to alter its properties at the command line.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I think the ChucK compilation cycle prevents
such a thing from existing on a language level, and the lack of an eval
statement would make it impossible to allow you to execute arbitrary
statements within a running shred.

Can a ChucK script be written to take command-line arguments or read/write
text to a file?  You could potentially write ChucK scripts to take
command-line arguments that modify static data that is being read from in a
running shred.