[chuck-users] Information request

luca paganotti luca.paganotti at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 07:21:59 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I'm trying to use/evaluate the usage of faust, pd and ChucK for a single
application that is not directly related to music. I work as a developer
for noise related applications (in particular we manage aircraft noise
and in general noise pollution).

I briefly explain what I would like to do. Let's say that I have a noise
source that I would like to limit. Let's say that I measure the noise
with a microphone in the vicinity of the noise source where i think the
noise could disturb someone. The mic input is needed to compute some
meaningfull indexes in a defined time interval, let's say 1 second or
more, and then this value could be used as a reference to change the
amplitude of the noise source if it exceeds the reference value.
I make a couple of examples:

  1. maybe I need to limit the noise production of a pub where there is
     live music so to reduce noise pollution outside the pub ...
  2. maybe I gather with my friends to play some music in my house and
     I would like not to annoy my neighbours ...

I've read the ChucK docs and found that I can have analyzer units but at
the moment they are only built in (fft, ifft, ...) and that in the near
future there will be the possibility to develop my own analyzer unit ...

So my questions are:

  1. Do you think that ChucK could be a profitable choice to have this
     job done?
  2. Have you plans and timings for the user built analyzers unit
     support in ChucK?

Thanks by now for any answer.

Luca Paganotti