[chuck-users] Gyration Air Mouse

Les Hall lester.hall at comcast.net
Thu May 26 17:36:48 EDT 2011

On May 26, 2011, at 4:53 PM, Michael Heuer wrote:

> Les Hall wrote:
>>
>> How do I access all of the axes?
>
> You should be able to follow the ChucK HID examples, then just dump
> out all the messages received as you wave the thing about.  Something
> like
> hid.openJoystick(device);
> Hopefully that will give you enough to map the messages to the right
> parameters.  That is how I did
> though that device doesn't have an accelerometer.
>
>   michael

Hi michael, yeah that's the thing here, we have a rodent species mouse, not a joystick.  The joystick axes are enumerated, however the Mouse axes are called deltaX and deltaY, nothing else documented in the examples.

I tried running the joystick and tilt sensor example programs to no avail, they do not recognize the mouse, meaning that this mouse isn't acting like two devices.  I'm inclined to believe that it is in fact a 5-axis mouse, and even if deltaZ exists, well, we ran out of letters lol.  I think the situation is that ChucK only knows about 2 (or maybe 3) axis mice, not 5 axis ones.

So the question arises:  why don't you just use the manufacturer's software to make it look like a joystick?  Well, I would but I'm in the funny situation that I'm using the PC version of the product on my Mac computer (it's a Mac mini so it can do that) because I wanted the freedom to go with Linux as well.  The manufacturer does not provide software for this special case of customer needs that I know, so I'm kind of stuck with an unconfigurable 5-axis mouse.

Any further guidance from the Dancing Wu Li ChucKists out there?

Les