[chuck-users] esp.beat - cybernetic orchestra CD

David Ogborn ogbornd at mcmaster.ca
Thu Apr 19 16:08:58 EDT 2012

Hello friends,

The debut album "esp.beat" from the Cybernetic Orchestra here at McMaster was released in a special CD release event ("Resonant") at the Factory Media Arts Centre during Hamilton's monthly James Street N art crawl last Friday (April 13 2012).  We distributed just over 200 CDs to an enthusiastic audience of just over 300 people - it was quite a blast!  I'm sure we'll do it again soon...

The entire album is available online via soundcloud - here's the link: http://soundcloud.com/cyberneticorchestra/sets/esp-beat

The album has been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-commercial Share-a-like license (CC BY-NC-SA).

How is the orchestra performing this music you may ask?  A lot of it is live coding using Chuck and the miniAudicle.  Some of it is some MaxMSP instruments created by orchestra members.  Behind the scenes we are using rough prototypes of the espTools software (forthcoming) for communication and beat sharing.

We'll be posting some more improv recordings (including some from the CD release party) shortly, and some video footage collected over the past 14 months throughout April and May.  But in the meantime we hope you enjoy this acousmatic edition of our music!

Yours truly,
David, on behalf of the Cybernetic Orchestra

Dr. David Ogborn, Assistant Professor
Communication Studies & Multimedia
Director, Cybernetic Orchestra & ESP Studio
McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada

ogbornd --at-- mcmaster.ca
http://davidogborn.net
http://twitter.com/ogbornd