[chuck-users] LiSa looping issue

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 04:41:03 EDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 07:39:03PM -0400, Matt Bard wrote:
> Kas,
>
> So, I went ahead and updated to 1.2.1.3 last night.

Great, congratulations!

> I noticed the error with  .loopRec is gone.

Also good, we'll get there :-)

> However, my issue persists.  Apparently I misunderstand
> something.  Here is a portion of my code:

Ok, let's have a look.

>     if (func == 1) {
>         //looper.clear();                //Causes a RT error with Jack

Right, that is simply a ChucK bug then, with some luck Dan Trueman
(LiSa's "father") will have a look at what is wrong there.

>         //0 => looper.loopRec;             //Does nothing
>         0 => looper.play;            //Record

Here I am scratching my head; does the combination of the code and
comment imply that you would like "not playing" to equal "recording"?
That would be a interesting way of working, but it's not true. .play
starts and stops playback and .record starts and stops recording.
.loopRec is a bit like .loop, .loop only works when playing and in
that case makes playback loop, while .loopRec only affects recording
and sets whether recording -when it happens- works in a looped
fashion.

> It seems that loop recording begins after I set a feedback level (I'm cool with
> that), but how do I get out of loopRec mode if not with the commented out line?
>   Also, if I call .clear() or call .duration, I get a realtime error from Jack
> and it shuts down.  I'm sure I'm missing something.  Could you point me in the
> right direction?

I think here might be the reasoning error; the "loop" in loopRec
refers to looping in time, not to a signal feedback loop (that may
also exist). loopRec means that as the recording position reaches the
end of the buffer it'll "loop" back to the start.

Maybe I am reading you wrong, but so far that seems to be it.

>   Also, if I call .clear() or call .duration, I get a realtime error from Jack
> and it shuts down.  I'm sure I'm missing something.  Could you point me in the
> right direction?

Well, those two are simply plain bugs; things should not shut down
over simple function calls. .clear() I'm not sure about, I don't think
I ever had to use it, but I really thought .duration was fine. That's
strange.

How far does that get you? Or am I misunderstanding something?