[chuck-users] waveform generation by function

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 18:18:55 EDT 2012

On 5 August 2012 17:04, Sample Hampton <zaphod4007 at aol.com> wrote:
> Kas,
>
> Thanks.  Being new to Chuck I wanted to make sure that there wasn't a more
> standard way of doing this.

Sorry for the late response,

Currently this is indeed the standard way, a more efficient way for
often useful structures is coming in the form of DIY plugins in C++ if
that's your cup. I'd say that what you impressively came up with on
your own is not only the standard way, but really quite nice.
Especially when considering that we can use Step to go from code to
UGens and .last() to go from UGens to code, I'd plead that this is a
very nice and versatile structure; we can write DSP in the same way
that we'd use to write a melody. Of course that is because the two are
the same kind of thing (a series of values with a given timing), but
elsewhere in "accessible" systems that similarity isn't as clearly
exposed, I'd say.

For me this was a bit of a break-though; I knew this to be true, but
it was quite another thing to actually see it in a practical manner
:¬).