[chuck-users] Sending raw midi / sysex

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 12:48:51 EDT 2012

On 7 August 2012 17:39, Julian Faust <julian.faust at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,

Hey Julian.

> Is it possible to send arbitrary midi messages like F0 00 01 61 03 04 7F 7F
> 7F 7F 7F 7F 7F 7F 7F 7F F7 (for example) ? I understand that you can work
> with hex, but it seems that MidiMsg is fixed at 3 data slots, and MidiIn and
> MidiOut interface via MidiMsg. Is there any way to use MidiOut without
> MidiMsg? Or possibly overload the class with a more flexible message holder?

Maybe :-).
our MIDI works with the mentioned 3 byte messages, but in the past I
managed to "cheat" it and reliably send 2 byte messages (patch and
bank changes). I think I left the 3rd byte blank or maybe I set it to
zero (might be the same thing). Anyway, by chopping up your message
into 3 byte blocks and sending those in order you might be able to get
it through, I have high hopes for that.

I'd appreciate it if you'd report back any findings.