[chuck-users] Sending raw midi / sysex

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 07:14:01 EDT 2012

On 9 August 2012 04:30, Julian Faust <julian.faust at gmail.com> wrote:
> Success! Breaking 17 values into 6 triplets worked, with the data3 of the
> 6th being ignored.

Great! Congratulations!

> The first and last value mark the start and end of the
> sysex message, which I guess is why it works. Thankfully I only need to send
> and not receive these crazy messages. I'm playing around with a Livid Block
> and this allows me to set the state of all 64 lights with just 6 midi
> messages, instead of 64. I'm thinking this could make a difference in
> performance for something like making all the lights blink really fast,
> though that will also depend on if it prioritizes notes over sysex or
> something.

Yes, I see. Depending on the situation you could also keep track of
the state of the leds in ChucK and only send a single message at a
single change. In the past I got around flooding a DIY interface to
some leds in that way. Using both techniques in suitable situations
might cut down the bandwith even further.

Anyway, you already cut down the bandwith needed to almost a 10th,
quite a nice optimisation!