[chuck-users] comparing fm in chuck an sc3

ronni montoya ronni.montoya at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 09:57:22 EDT 2012

Hi, I was trying to recreate a simple fm synth in sc3 and chuck , so i
can be able to compare the sounds of both.

Is there any sc3 users in this list? i ve made this version of the fm
code from chuck web site but it sounds so different.

I was wondering maybe i made anything wrong?

I was wondering also if doing this in chuck " m.last()" will be the
same as  "mod " in sc3?

thanks.

R.

here is the code.

Chuck:

// FM synthesis by hand

// carrier
SinOsc c => dac;
// modulator
SinOsc m => blackhole;

// carrier frequency
220 => float cf;
// modulator frequency
550 => float mf => m.freq;
// index of modulation
200 => float index;

// time-loop
while( true )
{
    // modulate
    cf + (index * m.last()) => c.freq;
    // advance time by 1 samp
    1::samp => now;
}

Supercollider:

(
SynthDef("fm1", { arg bus = 0, freq = 440, index = 200, mul = 0.05;

	var mod;
	var car;

	mod = SinOsc.ar(
		550,