[chuck-users] soft kill

Robert Poor rdpoor at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 00:50:38 EDT 2012

In my live performance setup, I had the concept of an "active patch".
I never directly killed the shred that ran the patch (except in
emergencies), but rather sent it a "cease and desist" message via
semaphore.  The patch was then responsible for ramping down,
gracefully fading out, deallocating resources and -- only after all
that completed -- the patch would exit the loop that ran its shred.

If I understand the original post, this is the effect you're looking
for.  I don't see a practical way to build that into the core of
ChucK, but writing a couple of general classes make it easy to
implement across different patches.

Make sense?

- Rob