[chuck-users] soft kill

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 08:56:11 EDT 2012

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 03:10:50AM +0200, Bastian Schumacher wrote:
> Why shouldn't it be possible to write a class for the pre-planned part which you can use to include your live code and pass the parameters during runtime (directly after leaving the loop). At least this would be an adequate solution from the theoretic standpoint. One could use a key from the keyboard as trigger button and the code may alter the parameters of the exit code if the tail may vary. I don't see anything that chuck can do now that could not be done using that technique.

You are right, of course; all the features are there. Ideally we'd
insert something like a ENvelope between the shred and the dac, then
write our own code for hotkey-based launching and updating.

Could be done -in theory- in a weekend, especially if we'd involve our
favourite scriptable editor.

My comment wasn't base don the theory, but on the fear that this would
run into the issues the type-system has. I see no way around storing
the shreds and the representation of the shred's audio output(s) in a
array, then re-assigning to that as stuff gets updated and that is
where, in my experience, so nasty bugs are hiding.

You are totally right about the possibility feature-wise and I may
well be wrong; maybe it'd all work without a hitch. Maybe I'm getting
old; it's not very ChucKist to fear a few bugs. ;-)