[chuck-users] 1.3.0.0 (chimera) unleashed!

Hans Aberg haberg-1 at telia.com
Sat Aug 25 13:03:42 EDT 2012

On 25 Aug 2012, at 18:42, Kassen wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 06:30:34PM +0200, Hans Aberg wrote:
>> On 25 Aug 2012, at 02:14, Spencer Salazar wrote:
>>
>>> chuck-1.3.0.0 (chimera) is available:
>>
>> On Mac OS X 10.7 and later, the system defined PATH includes /usr/local/bin/, which is where non-system installed binaries normally are put.
>
> That makes sense for cleanliness, but what is the chance of people
> running a older version?

The INSTALL file should give separate instructions for those (also see below).

Of course, one can set ones own PATH, especially since the system PATH has the wrong order: /usr/local/bin/ should normally be ahead of the system installation objects, so you get the latest version when installing duplicates.

> Last time I checked OSX had some unexpected behaviour (for me) in that
> the "which" command follows the system path and not the user's. This
> can lead to "which" reporting a location for a binary that might not
> be the version that will get executed when the command is invoked.
> Might be a BSD standard with solid reasoning behind it, but from my
> perspective this looks potentially confusing and so I'd rather stick
> to what we can be sure is the system path.

I haven't see that, but for the program Terminal, one should set in .profile, whereas for X11 and xterm in .bashrc. So my .bashrc contains
  source ~/.profile

> I agree with you that ideally /usr/bin is not the place where we should
> be if /usr/local/bin is a option, but I could see this breaking pre 10.7
> configurations in ways OSX users may not be accustomed to fixing.

I have users in mind that we on occasion have seen here who know very little about UNIX and POSIX. If they have pre-10.7, it is easiest for them to use /usr/bin/.

Hans