[chuck-users] WvOut: writes soundfile, but always silent

Spencer Salazar spencer at ccrma.stanford.edu
Tue Aug 28 20:15:52 EDT 2012

Yo,

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 9:49 AM, Kassen <signal.automatique at gmail.com> wrote:
> Spencer;
>
>> // undocumented fileGain parameter sets output gain of resulting audio file
>
> That would certainly explain it :-)
> I wasn't aware, BTW, plain plain wave files (let's count AIFF and raw
> there too) having such a parameter. Is this a simple input gain or
> meant as a convenience for more high-level file formats that might
> contain instructions on how to play them back?

This is a gain applied to the input right before it is written to the
underlying file. The only effect is on the gain of the resulting file,
whereas the gain of any real-time/ugen graph signals are unaffected.

>> // waveOut.closeFile();
>> // dont explicitly close file; file implicitly closed at shred exit
>
> Ok, here is the real reason for my mail. We can still close it manually, right?
> I also think I got into the habit of manually closing after in the bad
> old days the implicit closing would not work perfectly when the shred
> would exit in some non-clean way (it's been a few years...). Has
> something there changes or are we now simply behaving more like the
> specs say we will?

Manual closing of the file is still supported, this current bug
notwithstanding. The latest release introduced the issue, basically
WvOut's destructor and closeFile() both try to close the file and
interfere with each other. This will be fixed in the upcoming bugfix
release.

spencer