[chuck-users] problems with chubgraphs

Spencer Salazar spencer at ccrma.stanford.edu
Wed Aug 29 15:02:44 EDT 2012

Hey all,

For the Chubgraph example, you'll want to use "outlet" instead of dac:

class TestChubgraph extends Chubgraph {
        SinOsc o => outlet;
        400 => o.freq;
}

outlet is the local output terminal for the Chubgraph, whereas dac is
the same dac it always is.

Performance-wise, Chugens are basically doing the exact same thing as
a conventional 1::samp/Step loop, so I would expect comparable
performance in those cases. Chubgraphs basically plug existing C++
ugens together, so they end up being an order of magnitude faster than
Chugens, which execute ChucK VM code for every sample. The main
advantage of Chugens in either case is ease of use and clarity, at the
potential expense of performance.

The paper is here:
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~spencer/publications/CCC2012.pdf
(to be published later this year as part of ICMC 2012)

spencer