[chuck-users] Symposium on Laptop Ensembles and Orchestras - Registration Open

Stephen David Beck sdbeck at lsu.edu
Tue Feb 14 13:41:19 EST 2012

Please distribute widely...

1st Symposium on Laptop Ensembles & Orchestras (SLEO 2012) - Registration now open.

The LSU Center for Computation & Technology is pleased to announce the 1st Symposium on Laptop Ensembles & Orchestras, April 15-17, 2012 on the campus of Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge, LA.  The workshop will feature peer-reviewed paper sessions, panel discussions and posters focused on the current state of laptop and mobile music ensembles. Topics will include core tools and technologies for laptops and mobile devices, theoretical and historical approaches, software and hardware management, and composer perspectives.

Four workshops will start the symposium, with topics ranging from programming mobile devices, using the GRENDL system for software deployment, basic electronics & circuit bending, and vocal applications for laptop ensembles.

Ge Wang, director of the Stanford Laptop Orchestra and founder of Smule will give the keynote address for SLEO. There will also be performances by the Mobile Performance Group (Stetson University), Sideband (Princeton), the European Bridges Ensemble, the Linux Laptop Orchestra (L2Ork), and the Laptop Orchestra of Louisiana (the LOLs).

Although the final schedule is not yet completed, the general outline of the symposium is as follows:

- Sunday, April 15 - Workshops, Opening Reception
- Monday, April 16 - Conference Sessions, Keynote Address, Concerts
- Tuesday, April 17 - Conference Sessions, Concerts

Fees:

- Early Registration (until March 15, 2012): US$160
- Late/On-site Registration (beginning March 16, 2012): US$185
- Student Rates: US$110 (Early) / US$135 (Late/On-site)

Registration fees for SLEO 2012 include all workshops and symposium sessions, lunches for Monday and Tuesday, concert tickets for Monday and Tuesday evenings, on-campus transportation and the opening reception & crawfish boil.

Hotels:

The official conference hotel is the Lod Cook Hotel and Conference Center. We have secured a special conference rate of $96 per night. Reservations for the conference hotel must be made through our online registration form. We strongly recommend visitors stay at the Cook Hotel, as it will be the hub for our local transportation services. To get the conference rate, you must make your reservation through the SLEO registration page.

Travel:

The Baton Rouge Metropolitan Airport (BTR) is served by Delta, Continental, US Airways and American Airlines through regional hubs in Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Charlotte and Memphis. The airport is located 15 minutes north of LSU. We highly recommend flying through this airport. Taxis are available at the airport for local transportation.

The Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY) is approximately one hour driving time southeast of Baton Rouge, off of Interstate 10. The airport is served by over a dozen regional, national and international airlines. Rental cars are available, but cab service to Baton Rouge is prohibitively expensive and not recommended.

On-line Registration:

Please use the following link to register for the conference and make hotel reservations.

https://www.cct.lsu.edu/sleo-registration/sleo-submit.php

Thank you for your interest and submission to SLEO 2012.  We look forward to seeing you in April.

Sincerely,

Stephen David Beck
Jesse Allison
Rebecca Fiebrink