[chuck-users] machine add oddity

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 18:18:21 EST 2012

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 04:39:37PM -0600, Jeff Albert wrote:

> On his windows machine it only plays backbeat (regardless of the order in which
> the Machine.adds appear). On my Mac it works just fine, both files play.
>

> Ideas?

So, by it "not playing", do you mean ChucK simply doesn't indicate
it's sporking the shred at all? Or that you don't hear a sound?

Have you tried stuff like editing the offending file to start with a
debug print?

Assuming that the filenames indicated are the actual ones then that's
not it, those should be legal under both, but Windows and Mac
potentially use slightly different non-printable characters for stuff
like the end of a line. You could try opening and re-saving them using
a Windows native text editor or some tool to strip those characters, I
forget the details (stuff like cariage-return....) but your favourite
"serious programmer's editor" should have a tool to convert/strip
those. That might help?

These are just my first guesses, with more datapoints better guesses
could be made. If the file in question isn't super-secrit I'd like to
see a copy of it that's the most simple file that still causes this
issue.

Good luck, it sounds mysterious and I hope you'll share if/when you
find what on earth (or elsewhere, as the case might be) is causing
this.