[chuck-users] functions returning arrays

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 15:45:01 EST 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 12:27:22PM -0800, Colin Sullivan wrote:
> David,
>
> I think the problem may be that you are returning an array that is local to
> your function and it is getting deallocated when the function returns.

That's what I thought too, and that certainly can happen.
In that case a extra assignment (using @) can increase the reference
count, tricking the simple CC. That's not "good form" just a
workaround while some of that stuff is a bit dodgy.

That's not the issue here though, at least not the primary one. The
primary issue here is that rr gets defined without a length and so
apparently doesn't get initiated. Editing the relevant line to read;

 float rr[nn.size()];

makes sure all floats are initiated and for my tests it works.

I think the issue is not with returning, the reported error is
refering -I suspect- to the moment when we try to chuck the result of
the addition to the array location, the error just isn't indicating
that, obfuscating what went wrong.

I hope that helps (I also hope it's correct ;-) )