[chuck-users] emacs mode?

George Locke george.locke.maxmsp at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 12:33:53 EDT 2012

Hi,

I am not an experienced chucker, but I've been using Kao's chuck-mode.el
http://wiki.cs.princeton.edu/index.php/ChucKWithEmacs for the last few
weeks.  I've used it purely for editing - i haven't tried to hook it up to
the VM - for which purpose it is adequate.  It has a few quirks.  The most
annoying is the "electric =", which automatically turns '=' keypresses into
"=>": sometimes it's nice, but it's supposed to turn double '=' presses
into '==', but it comes out "=>=".  (I'm sure if I knew emacs better i
could just disable this feature entirely.  It's not really that helpful
anyway.)  I reported it to the bitbucket page (
https://bitbucket.org/kcfelix/chuck-mode/issues?status=new&status=open ) 3
days ago, but I see that the same issue was reported in 2010.

Aside from that, I've noticed two minor problems. with the auto-indent. For
one, it doesn't work properly on a block until you put a statement in it.
 When I write
"
while (true) {

}
"
and then move the cursor into the block to put code inside, emacs will put
the close-brace all the way at column zero regardless of context.  This is
not a major issue, since the above is nonsense code anyway; when i put
statements inside the loop, it works properly.  Slightly worse is its
failure with a block that's in one line.  The line after,
"
if (wait) { 1::second => now; }
"
will be indented one in, as though the block were never closed.  Some
people consider that kind of formatting bad style anyway, but I like
compact code, so I find it vexing.

I'm using GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) on windows 7 pro.

I haven't tried the other two modes listed on the wiki page I linked to at
the top, but they appear to be way older (2004, 2006), so I'm not
optimistic.  I'd be interested to hear your results.

Regards,
George