[chuck-users] serial communication and chuck

Scott Smallwood scott.smallwood at ualberta.ca
Sun Mar 4 15:10:05 EST 2012

Hey all,

I'm wondering if anyone on this list knows whether there are any plans to (finally) implement serial communication in ChucK?

I ask because, as someone who has been teaching Arduino-related things, I've basically stopped teaching ChucK in favour of Pd, simply because there isn't any way to get communication happening between ChucK and Arduino except through a third environment (like Processing via OSC or something).

I understand that it isn't that difficult to do this via OSC and Processing (or java or whatever), but it introduces an unfortunate stumbling block for beginners, and I find that it is just easier to teach in an environment that has native serial communication abilities (like Pd, Supercollider, etc).  But really, I'd MUCH rather teach ChucK, as I find that it is such a good teaching language and has so many out-of-the-box features thanks to the native implementation of percolate...

I posed this question a couple of years ago and it seemed like there was lots of interest in making this happen, but as far as I know, nobody has stepped up.

Any thoughts?

--ss

S c o t t   S m a l l w o o d

  composer, sound artist