[chuck-users] serial communication and chuck

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 15:13:02 EST 2012

On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 02:54:10PM -0500, Jordan Orelli wrote:
> wait a second... can ChucK just read from /dev/ttyUSB directly?  I don't know how the /dev files operate, but maybe what we're saying is a really roundabout way of just mounting the arduino as a TTY like in the article I linked and having ChucK read from the device file.  I don't have an arduino to try it out, but... it's worth trying if anyone wants to give it a whirl ;)

I think so. I never tried it with a arduino, but a bit ago I was
trying to get some annoying multi-media keys to work and just ran
"cat" on the "/dev/input/blah-blah-blah" of the keyboard to confirm I was
getting data.

You can, they are just files. For some you may need root and some of
the stuff in /dev may be best left alone, on top of that nothing says
the output you get will make intuitive sense... but yes you can.
Basically everything in Unix is abstracted to the OS as being a file
and those you can read from or write to, just like any other process
can.

Have fun,
Kas.

Disclaimer; poking around is good fun and educational. It's safe to
assume that all UNIX experts poked around... but it's also safe to
assume that the expertise was gained in learning what not to touch by
burning one's finger. (same holds true for Windows, BTW)