[chuck-users] Various general questions

Robin Haberkorn robin.haberkorn at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 23 14:43:40 EDT 2012

On 23/03/12 18:32, Robert Poor wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 08:37, Robin Haberkorn
> <robin.haberkorn at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> 1) Does ChucK have a public source repository?
>
> +10 to this question.  I REALLY recommend GitHub as ChucK's official
> repository.  It's an awesome facility: you can fork branches for
> testing new features.  It has a really great bug tracker.  It uses a
> simple markup language for documentation.  And it's free.

I assume the ChucK team already uses some kind of VCS, be it CVS, SVN or
whatever. I was just wondering whether it is public!?

But yes, I would also recommend GitHub. CVS or SVN imports really aren't
that difficult to create. Done it several times. The most time-consuming
part would be writing the mapping of CVS/SVN usernames to Git
usernames/emails so everyone gets proper credit/blame for past commits
on GitHub.
And by the way, you would also get an independent ChucK wiki for free.
If dependence on the GitHub company is a concern: if GitHub closes down
you will have dozens of complete repository clones on users' systems.
You can also host a public but non-accessible Git repository at the
university and push to GitHub automatically - or only manually or
certain branches. There are endless possibilities.

And as you pointed out Git itself gives you several advantages in the
development process I've learned to appreciate. For instance if you're a
core developer, you don't have to make your feature branch public, you
can keep it in your local repository, rebase it onto the master branch
and finally fast-forward merge it. You can use the "stash" to
efficiently handle work-in progress changes, etc.
But frankly merging is the only thing that *can* give you a headache in
Git from time to time. This is probably workflow-related. (Plain) Git
simply does not seem to imply a workflow with multiple stable version
branches between which you exchange changesets and track their
relationship. Although using "cherry-picking" something like that can
probably be built on top of Git.
However considering what I saw in the CVS Git-mirror, this will likely
not be an issue with ChucK.

cheers,
Robin