[chuck-users] Various general questions

Fri Mar 23 18:04:51 EDT 2012

On 03/23/2012 02:54 PM, Spencer Salazar wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 8:37 AM, Robin Haberkorn
> <robin.haberkorn at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>> 3) Is there a way to use multiple sound devices in one ChucK VM?
>> I'm using chuck 1.2.1.3 on Linux-ALSA. It seems I have to specify the
>> dac on the command line (--dacX). This could probably be used to start
>> one VM per soundcard and exchange audio data via netout/netin. I will
>> try this soon.

Quick comment: on Linux you could use Jack as the audio backend. If your
soundcards are sample synchronous they can be concatenated into one ALSA
virtual device and Jack can use that. Otherwise Jack (at least in
version 1.9.x) also provides the alsa_in and alsa_out clients which can
connect the main Jack engine to asynchronous soundcards doing resampling
to correct for the slight differences in sampling rate.

>> 4) regarding netout/netin. This may also be useful for integration with
>> other applications like Pure Data. Does anyone have experience with it
>> or details about the protocol if there is any? If not I will have a look
>> at it as soon as I need it and write a Pure Data external if necessary.

On Linux, if the clients are on the same physical machine they can all
be connected together without extra latency if Jack is used by all of
them. Easy. You can even connect machines through the network using
netjack.

-- Fernando