[chuck-users] introduce myself

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Sun May 20 16:55:36 EDT 2012

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 10:29:07PM +0200, Tomtom wrote:
> Hello Carlo
>
> I haven't tried myself, but I guess it is possible - at least with vim
> in a window and a shell in another. For something more integrated, I
> suggest you to read the following thread of discussion :

It's feasable, you can run code based on Vim hotkeys (of course) but
with some quite minor changes all of the the Mini's options could be
available. I'd like to look into it but other projects have a higher
priority right now.

> On the supercollider/chuck comparison - if you are looking at both right
> now I guess you are looking for informations on this subject too - I
> would say that supercollider is probably more powerful (more mature with
> a **lot** of things already existing), but chuck approach to audio
> programming is much easier to grasp (well, that's only my personal
> experience)

I agree in general; SC is far more mature. ChucK does shine in some
speciffic cases; in my experience SC coders of a intermediate level
can run into execution order problems that take a SC expert to resolve
while in ChucK execution order should always be deterministic and is
typically fairly easy to debug.

ChucK's other big strength is cases where there is a need to have code
react to UGen output (stop playing after a zero-crossing, for
example).

Generally there is a fair amount of things that are trivial in one and
would be a huge headache in the other.

Which is easier to grasp seems to depend on the person, for every
person who feels right at home with A and finds B arcane there will be
somebody who feels the exact opposite, or so it seems. I don't think I
have ever heard of anyone being fluent in both, but I saw quite a few
cases of people into one admiring some aspect of the other a lot.

P.S. It can't be assumed that all SC users are baby-eating devil
worshipers; some might be on a diet or unable to find babies :-p