[chuck-users] OSC

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 17:31:21 EST 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 11:13:24PM +0100, Stefan Blixt wrote:
> @Kassen: I know that every once in a while I come across a linux system
> where localhost isn't set up in /etc/hosts. I don't know the circumstances
> when you don't want it there, but it could be that packages set up the
> hosts file as needed, and Romain just hasn't installed a package that
> needed the localhost name.

Thanks. I didn't know that, I thought that file was simply supposed to
always be there and have at least this one line.

> Unix hackers probably think it's just an unnecessary hassle: "why write
> localhost when I can write 127.0.0.1" ;)

Sure, Unix Hackers take that in their stride... Last weekend I was
recompiling my (Linux) Window Manager after I had found and fixed a
inconsistency at 4am, and yet I'm still no "Unix Hacker", they are a
sort of mythical creature always a few steps beyond us, like "next
week" is, as a concept :-).

For the rest of us "localhost" is either clear where the IP isn't or
at least one less mental step.  I am personally in favour of naming
everything that can be named, then using the name over the number,
though that is admittedly a matter of style and what puts a strain on
my brain others might find very easy.

Anyway; solved, though this means there are examples that might not
work on stock Ubuntu which is arguably a bad thing, even though it
could be argued this is a Ubuntu issue, not a ChucK one.