[chuck-users] FM

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 08:50:22 EDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 05, 2012 at 02:25:40PM +0200, Stefan Blixt wrote:
> A SinOsc constantly oscillates between -1 and 1, according to the frequency
> set. The frequence is stored in/retrieved from m.freq (e.g. 200 for 200
> Hz), and the constantly changing/oscillating value (between -1.0 and 1.0)
> can be retrieved from m.last().

All true.

In this case -1 to 1 clearly is rather a small range for all but the
most subtle of modulations. You can multiply by "index" every sample
as in the posted examples, but personally I'd simply set the
modulator's .gain() to the value of the index.

While we are at it; I'd also use the fm input to the carrier set by
the .sync() member function.

That leaves the centre frequency, I'd sum the modulator with a Step
UGen set to that value.

This will greatly simplify the code (no need to manually loop) and
because of that decrease the CPU cost.

For educational purposes I won't write out the code, shout if more
hints are needed ;-).

This, BTW, will only fly if we are modulating a plain oscillator, if
something else, which lacks a .sync() member and thus the fm input,
needs to be modulated the strategy of the past few mails will be the
way to go.