[chuck-users] Okay, trying to compile chuck 1.3 etc

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 13:20:41 EDT 2012

On Sat, Oct 06, 2012 at 12:04:40PM +0200, Harald wrote:
> > RtAudio/RtAudio.cpp:1835:23: fatal error: jack/jack.h: No such file or directory
> > RtAudio/RtAudio.cpp:5212:28: fatal error: alsa/asoundlib.h: No such file or directory
> > RtAudio/RtAudio.cpp:6455:23: fatal error: soundcard.h: No such file or directory
>
> if header files are missing, you need *-dev.deb packages.
> On most linux systems developer (headers *.h and static libs *.a)
> ending in -dev and runtime (dynamic libs *.so) packages are separate.
> Most of these package names will start with "lib", e.g. libjackxxx and
> libjackxxx-dev or libsndfilexxx(-dev), but some may also have other
> names like rtaudioxxx(-dev) etc.

Exactly. This looks like libjack-dev is missing, and libasound-dev

I wonder why it'd need both, maybe the libasound is used for MIDI even
if you pick Jack for audio in/out.

Anyway, look for those two in synaptic (I don't think Synaptic is
installed by default in Ubuntu anymore, but that is probably the
easiest program to look for and get these). You also at least need
libsndfile-dev

If you need to get a version of the jack server I'd get jack2. Jack2
is more forgiving towards programs generating samples late, jack1
disconnects such programs.