[chuck-users] midi ports

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 10:52:43 EDT 2013

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 09:40:23PM +0200, Philipp Kroos wrote:
>    Hi!
>    I'm new to this list (and again to ChucK), so hello first ;)

Welcome on board, Phillip!

>    Is there a way to keep midiports 'open'?
>    I can specify the number of audio io's when starting chuck --loop,
>    can I do the same with midi io?
>    I'm using LASH on linux. My objective is to start ChucK and connect a
>    midikeyboard to it.
>    In previous versions (used dracula before) a midi-port came up in LASH
>    when I started a
>    .ck-file that used a MidiIn-object, and stayed open. In the current
>    version, the ports disappear once the program finishes.

I'm not sure I understand the question. You would like ChucK to be
represented as a sort of virtual MIDI synth even after ChucK has
finished?

I could see the use-case but I think I am also opposed to programs
that have returned leaving stuff behind. Could you explain a bit about
why it wouldn't do to have ChucK open your keyboard straight and
release it at termination? If that wouldn't do, would it be enough to
have some sort of virtual port that you could route to and that ChuCk
could open?

I may not properly understand what you are trying to do and where you
run into trouble.