[chuck-users] midi ports

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 20:15:47 EDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 10:37:39PM +0200, Philipp Kroos wrote:
> 2013/4/22 Kassen <signal.automatique at gmail.com>:
> > On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 09:40:23PM +0200, Philipp Kroos wrote:
> >>    Hi!
> >>    I'm new to this list (and again to ChucK), so hello first ;)
> >
> > Welcome on board, Phillip!
>
> Thank you!
>
> I think my explanation wasn't that clear.
> In short, I'm looking for the midi-equivalent of the '--out/in'
> switches to a 'chuck --loop',
> if that makes sense.

A bit, yes. Do I understand correctly that the core of your issue is
that you would like to set the MIDI routing from outside of ChucK
instead of from inside the code itself?

Personally I so far think that the current behaviour is desirable and
that MIDI is more flexible to work with than audio from this
perspective. Audio reservations need to be made at the start of the VM
because those dictate at what speed the UGens will be running and how
long a "samp" is. For that reason we can't open and close ADC's and
DAC's as we please.

I think you were also saying that the behaviour here changed with a
recent version, though I can't remember that being a documented
change. I now wonder what is up there; maybe we accidentally have some
sort of issue.

What you could try is run some code that creates a MIDI port as a
static member of a public class when you start your VM and have shreds
interact with that instead of opening their own ports. That way the
port should be and stay open as long as the VM lives. I never tried
that myself but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Hope that clarifies things a bit and gets you a bit further.