[chuck-users] ChucK for live musicians

Manuel Bärenz manuel at enigmage.de
Fri Dec 20 04:03:05 EST 2013

Hey Joe,

I don't know whether it is possible to edit a .ck file during execution and hear the changes. I doubt it, due to the strongly timed language design. But that's not a big deal. Files in supercollider do not exactly correspond to files in ChucK. The closest comparison I'd dare to give is that instrument definitions (usually 1 line with many nestings) in supercollider correspond to shreds (or files) in ChucK. So if you want to have changes to your setup live, change the file in audicle and reload it. If you want to add more instruments or effects, open a new file, edit it and run it paralelly to the already running files.
Sorry, if I'm glossing over too many technical details, please feel free to ask for them.

But maybe you're not really interested in live coding after all? You can still use ChucK as a customisable, interactive effect machine
adc => Gain g => Chorus c => dac;
g => Delay d => g;
0.5 => d.gain;
0.1::second => d.delay;
This would set up an echo and a chorus for the sound you're recording.
Looping machines are easy to build. Give me a shout if you'd like to know how.

Best, Manuel