[chuck-users] chugin tutorial or docs?

Joel Matthys jwmatthys at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 23 20:53:30 EST 2013

On 12/23/2013 07:20 PM, Steve Morris wrote:
> Hi Joel,
>
> I'm not much help on knowing how to implement this in Chuck but I am
> curious what kind of pitch extraction algorithm you intend to use.
> I've reviewed quite a few but never found one I really liked. It is a
> tricky problem (What is the difference between a chord and an note
> from an instrument with harmonics? Theoretically not much.) but based
> on the number of commercial packages that claim to be doing score
> extraction I assume there has been some progress since the last time I
> checked.

I've been very impressed with Katja's helmholtz~ pitch tracker in Pd; I
wrote an implementation in RTcmix but I think it can be very useful in
ChucK. I'm not so interested in polyphonic score extraction; I know
there has been success in the proprietary sphere but I think that
monophonic tracking is sufficient to produce some interesting work in ChucK.

> -Steve (aka zencuke)
>
> PS. I've looked but I've found very little public documentation for
> any kind of ChucK extension capabilities whether at the C++ level or
> ChucK (ChuGin etc.) level. Most of the support focus (documentation
> etc) seems to be on naive users and/or beginners. That's good but it
> sort of leaves users trying to do sophisticated things out in the
> cold. ChucK seems more targeted as a classroom teaching vehicle than
> as a serious music tool.

It is of course a very good tool for teaching music coding, but I see no
reason that it can't be a serious music tool as well. It's a young
language, and definitely needs a documentation push (there is a new book
and, thanks to Coursera, the beginnings of a coding community). But the
new developments in 1.3 (String parsing, Serial, and ChuGins) have great
potential.