[chuck-users] chugin tutorial or docs?

Spencer Salazar spencer at ccrma.stanford.edu
Tue Dec 24 12:00:34 EST 2013

Hey Joel,

Its not currently possible to create a UAna ChuGin, though this is
something we are definitely considering for the future. If it were me doing
this right now I would buffer FFT frames internally in a UGen and spit out
pitches from a member function or variable as they become available. You
would probably have to write your own FFT (or use code/a library from
somewhere else), which is sort of lame/inefficient from a software design
perspective, given that ChucK already has its own FFT implementation
built-in.

That being said, I think a dependable, go-to pitch tracker would be a great
addition to ChucK's chugin library, so please keep us posted on your work
and we would be happy to help with any general guidance or specific
questions. This is the kind of use case we want to make easy, or at least
not unnecessarily cumbersome.

Im planning to write a solid chugin tutorial some time in the next month or
so, but for now, yes, the paper and the source code are the primary
documentation. A good portion of ChucK's internal ugens/libraries use the
ChuGin-style API (but are compiled in statically of course). So the ChucK
source tends to have more breadth in showing how the system works than most
of the existing chugins, which are generally pretty simple.

spencer