[chuck-users] function for creating 8 bit waveforms from expressions

Steve Morris steve at judgement.com
Sat Dec 28 16:30:47 EST 2013

See my post about polymorphism. To "pass in an expression in on the fly"
you need to wrap the function in a polymorphic class and "on the fly" pass
a reference to that class instead. For example if you are doing this in a
ChuGen you can create a class variable to hold a reference to the "current"
expression object. At the appropriate time you can assign a new class to
the reference variable in much the same way you would change the gain or
frequency on the fly. The tick() method would call the current function
through the reference variable. You can then put the common code directly
in the ChuGen and code you want to change at run time in the referenced
object.

This is all simpler if all classes are defined in the same file and thread
but I believe that if you are clever the new code doesn't even need to be
defined when the ChuGen is started. All it needs is for the base class to
be defined. You could connect and start up the ChuGen and then weeks later
write new code and put it into the reference variable of the running
ChuGen. The tricky part is how to pass the new object from a different
thread. This requires using static class variables which is a subject for a
different post.

-steve

PS all the helper functions you can imagine are probably already written
and available in the LiCK Library for ChucK. If you don't have it already
you should get it immediately. Half the things I was originally planning of
writing in ChucK I found already implemented in LiCK. It is also a great
thing to read if you want to see how complex things can be done in ChuCK.