[chuck-users] chuck --probe output: not stdout

Ge Wang ge at ccrma.stanford.edu
Thu Feb 28 12:14:02 EST 2013

> To err is human...  but to really screw things up, code it in ChucK.   ;)

yessss -- so true!!  gonna save this to the List of Chuckian Wisdom.

> Ah, okay.  Well, that at least provides me a good plan of action.  And I
> never knew about the &> operator on the command line, so thanks for
> that!  I suppose that "chuck --probe 2> output" would work as well.

all (or at least most) of chuck system output/log is to stderr...  I
can't quite remember why... -- I think it's to avoid issues regarding
buffering on the stdout stream.  For example, it's possible for a crash
to occur right after printing an important message to stdout, but the
text may or may not actually print without an explicit flush.  This does
not happen with stderr.

ChucK on,
Ge!

~~~
Ge Wang
Assistant Professor
Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics (CCRMA)
Stanford University
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~ge/
~
Co-founder + Chief Creative