[chuck-users] chuck --probe output: not stdout

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 13:40:18 EST 2013

On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 01:14:02AM +0800, Ge Wang wrote:
> >To err is human...  but to really screw things up, code it in ChucK.   ;)
>
> yessss -- so true!!  gonna save this to the List of Chuckian Wisdom.

Can we also revive "powertools can maim" as a slogan?

> all (or at least most) of chuck system output/log is to stderr...  I
> can't quite remember why... -- I think it's to avoid issues
> regarding buffering on the stdout stream.  For example, it's
> possible for a crash to occur right after printing an important
> message to stdout, but the text may or may not actually print
> without an explicit flush.  This does not happen with stderr.

That is all good and well, but not very satisfactory. We now need to
wonder why Stderr does not end up in the console where it belongs in
that configuration.

I'd want to see my errors, they are nice to collect and occasionally
even useful for diagnostics.