[chuck-users] chuck --probe output: not stdout

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 11:04:07 EST 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 10:46:10PM +0100, Stefan Blixt wrote:
>    Kassen, on unix stderr ends up in the console, the issue (if I understand
>    correctly) is when you want to pipe the output of chuck --probe to a file.
>    I just tried chuck -h > file.txt, and it's the same there, file.txt ends
>    up empty and I get the help output on the console. I'd say it's a bug,
>    plain and simple - unix apps don't commonly behave that way.

For me it works on Linux.

I wonder whether this is a ChucK issue or a OSX one. I don't think
ChucK should be aware of where the output is being send. I wonder
whether stderr is being routed to some central log file here.

Anyway, I agree it is a bug; It's text output and should go to the
console unless we pipe it to a file or something like grep, that's how
UNIX does things and the way in which everything makes everything else
more useful.