[chuck-users] Synth for use with guitar hex pickup

Stefan Blixt stefan.blixt at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 08:16:41 EDT 2013

Kassen, perhaps you're thinking about the YouRock guitar? I've been
glancing at that one myself - looks like a clever piece of gear.

They're actually getting better at polyphonic pitch detection - there are
polyphonic tuners available (the TC Electronic app for iPhone), and the
RockSmith console game (great fun!) detects chords - though how well it
does isn't apparent, maybe they're faking it ;) I do think there's a fair
amount of latency involved in both of those though.

/Stefan

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 4:09 AM, Kassen <signal.automatique at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 11:52:23PM -0700, ryguasu at gmail.com wrote:
> >    That sounds like a good idea, though I haven't bought any sort of MIDI
> >    guitar yet. Can you describe the difference in sound you get with
> >    monophonic vs polyphonic? Does it make the sound more accurately
> reflect
> >    what you were actually playing on the guitar?
>
> Didn't the Rockband (the video game) people do a guitar controller
> with poly MIDI output and actual strings? I seem to remember they did
> a few years ago and did so at a fairly modest price as far as such
> things go. I think you could also plug it into a amp, which is really
> quite spectacular for a game controller.
>
> That might suit your needs, or at least let you test without committing
> to a exotic beast like a pro guitar with poly MIDI output.
>
> To answer the literal question; pitch detection of simple monophonic
> signals (the flute, the recorder) is doable, pitch detection of notes
> in chords (say; 6 notes chords as likely found in guitar playing) is
> very hard even if you don't need to be fast. Using a pickup per string
> reduces the problem to six monophonic sounds. This should be far more
> accurate and far faster, especially in the context of relatively (as
> compared to the flute) complex sounds like strummed guitar strings.
>
> Yours,
> kas.

Release me, insect, or I will destroy the Cosmos!