[chuck-users] Synth for use with guitar hex pickup

Stefan Blixt stefan.blixt at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 09:55:19 EDT 2013

Re: latency - that's very true. OTOH, someone pointed out somewhere that
latency has been around as long as bands have needed to perform on big
stages in front of huge speaker stacks, due to the fact that the stacks are
positioned some distance away from the musicians, and sound needs to travel
a while before hitting the musicians ears. I'm not saying I'm used to
performing on big stages, just that latency doesn't have to be a
show-stopper, just a condition you need to work with. The problem then
becomes to make the latency consistent, which has been a problem for me -
some notes are detected later than others.

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Kassen <signal.automatique at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 01:16:41PM +0100, Stefan Blixt wrote:
> >    Kassen, perhaps you're thinking about the YouRock guitar? I've been
> >    glancing at that one myself - looks like a clever piece of gear.
>
> Me too, but considering my collection I should really only get game
> controllers I have actual plans for.
>
> >    They're actually getting better at polyphonic pitch detection - there
> are
> >    polyphonic tuners available (the TC Electronic app for iPhone), and
> the
> >    RockSmith console game (great fun!) detects chords - though how well
> it
> >    does isn't apparent, maybe they're faking it ;) I do think there's a
> fair
> >    amount of latency involved in both of those though.
>
> Frankly I think that is unavoidable. Pitch detection takes time and
> the onset of guitar notes is really quite noisy on top of that. What
> I'd do if I wanted to get clever would be to first send that a
> transient has been detected and only once I were sure of the pitch
> send the pitch, then using some synth controlled by this that would
> also start with noisy attacks. That might be ok.
>
> I said it before but there really is no way around latency in pitch
> detection as pitch is inherently a time-based phenomenon. If the plan
> is to get new musical ideas that might not be a issue as you could run
> analysis at your leisure. For rocking out live it's either accepting
> the math or everyone's favourite strategy; cheat ;-)
>
> Yours,
> Kas.

Release me, insect, or I will destroy the Cosmos!