[chuck-users] Minor bug when saving an example with "save as."

Steve Morris barbershopsteve at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 18:45:33 EDT 2013

Hi. I'm new to ChucK and love it so far but I would like to report what I
think is a minor bug. I'm on a Mac running OSX 10.8.5.

miniAudicle "about" reports:

version 1.3.0 (gidora)
Copyright (c) Spencer Salazar

ChucK: version 1.3.2.0 (chimera) 64-bit
Copyright (c) Ge Wang and Perry Cook
http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/

Bug report: Note: this is low priority and minor, more in the category of
an annoyance.

I opened an example then saved it with "save as." Then I edited it then
tried to save the changes. A dialog reported the file was read only. I
checked the file with info and the file has Read & Write permission. I can
overwrite it with "Save As" but Save refuses to save. I suspect that the
example was read only and it kept that attribute in some file state
variable. If true this is wrong in two ways, first it should have updated
the local state to match what it wrote and second it should not depend on
historical information. Even if the file was read-only when opened that may
have changed. This is a multitasking system and some other task (me in
finder for example) might have changed the permissions since the file was
opened. I believe the correct behavior would have been to attempt to write
the file and check the error status of the write.

Best regards and thanks for a wonderful tool.

-Steve Morris aka zencuke