[chuck-users] getting started questions

Spencer Salazar spencer at ccrma.stanford.edu
Sun Oct 27 22:47:31 EDT 2013

Hi Steve,

1. The scope of variables is more or less standard Java/C-like -- variables
can be used anywhere in the scope in which they are declared or scopes
enclosed within, and the underlying values can be passed around to other
scopes. File-scope variables can be accessed in pretty much any shred
created in that file. Sharing variables across files tends to be more
complicated -- the basic paradigm is to make a public class and access
static variables or methods within that.

2. Michael Heuer's LicK is one example of this:
https://github.com/heuermh/lick

3. Depending on what your C++ code is doing, you could use a chugin (ChucK
plugin). These are generally most appropriate for unit generators and
relatively simple generic library functionality. One simple example,
Bitcrusher:
https://github.com/ccrma/chugins/tree/master/Bitcrusher

4. The installer should also have installed the command line executable --
you can check this by opening up a window in Terminal and entering a chuck
command:
$ chuck --version

chuck version: 1.3.2.0 (chimera)
   mac os x : intel : 64-bit