[chuck-users] chuck vm options

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 09:13:55 EDT 2014

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 09:34:39AM -0400, Al Matthews wrote:
>    Hello list.

Hey Al!

>    1) Catching up a bit,

Cool. Me too.

>	 it occurs to me that
>
>    shell%> chuck --start `while(true) 1::second +=> now;`
>
>    has been superseded by
>
>    shell%> chuck --loop
>
>    ; correct? Does ChucK any longer accept subprocesses or so, from the
>    shell?

Hmmmm, I have to admit I have never seen the first case. I think you
will need to use a temporary file if you'd like to do this.

>    2) Also if anyone cares to distinguish or give an example for
>
>    --callback
>    Utilizes a callback for buffering (default).
>
>    --blocking
>    Utilizes blocking for buffering.

I believe they refer to how ChucK relates to the soundcard and the
OS's sound uinfrastructure. As we use the RTAudio library for this it
may be best to see the relevant documentation there;

http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~gary/rtaudio/

Unfortunately I can't find the exact distinction there myself right
now. I believe that the default of "callback" will make RTAudio provide
a function for the underlying audio system (your OS's system) to call
whenever it needs a new set of samples. However, what it will do in
the case of "blocking" is not quite clear to me.

On the bright side; I have so far been totally fine without this
knowledge so I have high hopes that I'll stay that way. ;-)