[chuck-users] spork~ and multiple cpus

Spencer Salazar spencer at ccrma.stanford.edu
Mon Dec 15 17:20:00 EST 2014

Hi Vilbjørg,

ChucK does not spread processing load for multiple shreds over multiple
CPUs/cores -- all shred and audio processing occurs on a single logical
core. This is mainly because ChucK makes several strong guarantees about
the timing between shreds and audio processing, and these are difficult to
maintain across multiple cores.

Its not uncommon to run multiple chuck instances if multiple-core
utilization is necessary, using OSC to communicate data between them. You
lose a lot of the power of shreds in ChucK, but as I mentioned these
attributes are difficult to implement with multi-core awareness anyways.

spencer

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 5:14 AM, vilbjørg broch <
vilbjorg at antidelusionmechanism.org> wrote:

> hi
>
> I have problems getting shreds to spread load over multiple cpus neither
> from miniAudicle nor commandline chuck
> Running linux Debian 3.2.0-4-amd64,     chuck 1.3.4.0 jack,    miniAudicle
> 1.3.2 jack
>
> I just tested the same .ck files on a mac and it looks like that the
> sporked shreds automatically spreads over at least 2 of 4 (4 of 8) cores.
>

> Is there any more information to find about how to handle or understand
> these issues, or does anyone have any tricks to share?
>
> Much greetings
> Vilbjørg

Spencer Salazar
Doctoral Candidate
Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics
Stanford University

spencer at ccrma.stanford.edu
+1 831.277.4654
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~spencer/