[chuck-users] Matrix of Impulse Generators

Stefan Blixt stefan.blixt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 03:57:45 EST 2014

I sometimes get this wrong, but I think that this line:

SinOsc s => ADSR e => dac;

will make new connections between s, e and dac each time it's run in the
while loop - possibly creating new instances of SinOsc and ADSR each time.
Since you never disconnect from dac, this means an increasing load that may
explain the breakdown.

Since you want some release on the ADSR, you could make a second shred
function that deals with playing a single note, which could make sure to
disconnect e from dac one the release time has passed. Trigger the note
playing shred from your iGen function.

/Stefan

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 1:11 AM, Philipp Blume <pgbluster at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Question from a rank ChucK beginner
>
> There's something about envelopes or gain or shreduling that I don't
> understand.
>
> I created a Cartesian matrix of impulse generators, whose frequencies are
> given as mx+ny {x,y btw -3 and 3) where the gain & 'tempo' of each
> generator is correlated with its distance from a line segment (a1,b1 -
> a2,b2) - later on I will be manipulating x,y,a1,b1,a2, and b2.
>
> This code runs well for a while, but within a few seconds or minutes it
> starts to get overwhelmed. The death is both spectacular and quite moving,
> but how do I keep it within bounds so it sounds perpetually like it does in
> the first 5-10 seconds?
>
> 550 => float x;
> 440 => float y;
> 3 => float a1;
> 0 => float b1;
> 0 => float a2;
> -2 => float b2;
>
> fun void iGen(int i1, int j1) {
>     while(true) {
>         Euclid(i1,j1,a1,b1) + Euclid(i1,j1,a2,b2) => float dist;
>         <<< dist >>>;
>         SinOsc s => ADSR e => dac;
>         e.set(35::ms, 8::ms, .1, 200::ms);
>         Math.pow(0.65,(dist)) => s.gain;
>         i1*x + j1*y => s.freq;
>         e.keyOn();
>         (440)::ms => now;
>         e.keyOff();
>         (440*Math.pow(1.2,dist))::ms => now;
>     }
> }
>
> fun float Euclid(float p, float q, float r, float s) {
>     return Math.sqrt(Math.pow((p-r),2) + Math.pow((q-s),2));
> }
>
> for(-3 => int i; i<4; i++) {
>     for (-3 => int j; j<4; j++) {
>         if (i != 0 && j != 0) {
>             spork ~ iGen(i,j);
>         }
>     }
> }
>
> while (x != y) {
>     500::ms=>now;
> }
>
> --
> Philipp Blume

Release me, insect, or I will destroy the Cosmos!