[chuck-users] Float assignment totally unexpected

Spencer Salazar spencer at ccrma.stanford.edu
Wed Mar 26 16:15:25 EDT 2014

Hey Alfredo/all,

I dont have any specific recollection of this issue coming up, but the
thread Antanas has linked to is promising. It could be a locale issue,
which sadly seems to still be an issue in some situations :( One side
effect of these is software being confused whether , or . is the decimal
separator for floating point literals, which might explain the
misrepresentations you are seeing.

To test this, try setting to miniAudicle to the "C" locale before running
it, by setting the appropriate locale environment variable. Its been a
while, but I believe LC_ALL is the right var. For example,

$ export LC_ALL="C"
$ miniAudicle

and then proceed as normal. (The locale settings will only apply to the
current terminal, so this shouldnt affect anything else on your system.)
There are a few more locale-oriented settings that can be manipulated, so
some experimentation may be necessary.

If it is a locale issue, then its probably something we can fix in
miniAudicle very easily. Let me know!

Thanks,
spencer