[chuck-users] GUI builders?

Andrew Monks andrew at andrewmonks.net
Thu Sep 11 15:08:08 EDT 2014

Peter!

I've used both Pd/Max and Processing.org/controlp5 for ChucK GUI controls.

Personally, I find the dataflow model of Pd/Max to be very well suited
to event-oriented things like user interface: just pipe your ui
objects / number boxes / what have you straight to a `udpsend` object,
and you don't have to think about an event loop. Another potential
advantage of Pd/Max is that it's inherently suited to livecoding,
whereas a Processing patch needs to be recompiled when you make
changes.

On the other hand, Processing provides many more tools than Max (and
especially Pd) for prettying-up your interface. I start almost every
project with a UI in Pd/Max, but if my interface needs to be used by
other people, I'll often switch over to Processing to provide more
visual control in a final 'release' version.

I'll always use Pd/Max when I'm livecoding, so that I can easily add
UI elements on-the-fly as I need them. When livecoding I don't really
care about how pretty my interface is since it's for one-time use.