[chuck-users] question about Jack / Chuck interactions

Spencer Salazar spencer at ccrma.stanford.edu
Thu Aug 20 15:14:35 EDT 2015

Hi Daniel,

Saw your earlier message about this and meant to get back to you- Ive never
seen this before, but I suspect its the Jack library printing out all of
this, which is somewhat poor form. I think the way OS X audio works is that
it loads every possible audio driver when you ask about available audio I/O
endpoints, which then gives Jack the opportunity to print out all of this.

Depending on if these messages go to stdout or stderr you could suppress
them by redirecting those with 1> /dev/null or 2> /dev/null at the end of
your chuck command. This is not great though because if the Jack messages
go to stderr you wouldn't get any of the normal internal logging messages
from ChucK, or compile/run-time errors. You could still print from ChucK
code using chout or cherr depending on which one of these you suppress.

Or maybe Jack has a way to configure it to be less verbose.

spencer

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 11:52 AM, Daniel Chapiro <dchapiro at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi - I hope someone has run into this before. After I installed Jack (to
> use with Faust, not with Chuck), each time that Chuck runs, it issues a
> bunch of error messages. If Jack is running, the list of errors is several
> pages long. If Jack is not running, I get:
>
> JAR: Blacklisted client Xquartz
> JAR: Blacklisted client Terminal
> JAR: Blacklisted client loginwindow
> JAR: Blacklisted client Xcode
> JAR: Blacklisted client SystemUIServer
> Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
> Cannot connect to server request channel
> jack server is not running or cannot be started
> JAR: jack server not running or rejected client
>
> In either case ChucK seems to run OK. Is this a bug, or is there something
> that I can do to avoid these messages?
>
> Thanks!
> Daniel

Spencer Salazar
Doctoral Candidate
Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics
Stanford University

spencer at ccrma.stanford.edu
+1 831.277.4654
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~spencer/