[chuck-users] Heavy distortion/clipping in Windows

Moisés Gabriel Cachay Tello xpktro at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 11:19:35 EST 2015

Hello Kassen, thanks for your help!

The scripts I used are included into the last miniAudicle (and maybe ChucK
itself, I didn't checked) examples folder. You can grab a copy from the
ChucK (mirror?) Github repo [1]. I guess I'll be testing the same scripts
into another Machine/OS to see what happens also.

[1]
https://github.com/ccrma/chuck/blob/master/src/examples/book/digital-artists/chapter8/Listing8.9.ck

> Hey, Moisés!
>
> I'm facing an odd problem during my journey. Following the examples
>> provided in the book (and also writing my own pieces), sometimes the output
>> sound gets heavily disorted as if the sound levels go far beyond the
>> maximum and there's an extreme clipping sound.
>>

> I listened to your recording and I agree that sounds like clipping, yes.
> That's very strange as we would expect those examples tot not do that (I
> didn't follow that course myself but assume it's been carefully made).
>
> In general clipping is not -in itself- a cause for worry. When we are
> creating new sounds or working on a piece it is to be expected that we
> sometimes accidentally clip. We adjust the code and move on. I assume that
> something about your setup must be different from the setup the author of
> that example used. That might be comforting to you; I can't see how any of
> this could indicate that you did something "wrong"... but it is also
> slightly discomforting because it is so strange.
>

>> The weirdest part of all this, is that this distortion only occurs when
>> the code is running 'live'. If I use the 'Export' function in miniAudicle,
>> the resulting sound is crystal-clear. I've also used a simple snippet to
>> record the output to a file manually and the same good-sounding result
>> occurs. I tried using another sound interface (as far as I know, the HDMI
>> counts as another audio interface), and an external interface embedded into
>> my Beringher UMA25S MIDI controller with the same results every time.
>>

> Thanks for testing that. I wonder whether the "export" function uses some
> sort of automatic volume scaling. That would prevent the clipping, but then
> I'd expect that in those caases the normal (non-clipping) sounds would be
> softer.
>

>> Since I don't know how to properly diagnose/solve this problem, I hope
>> some of you can give me some insight to get over this and keep ChucKing :)
>>

> It is indeed odd and might be a bit hard to diagnose. Could you send me
> the exact .ck file you used to generate the mp3 file you provided? I'd like
> to run it and see what happens.
>
> Yours,
> Kas.

-Moisés