[chuck-users] Heavy distortion/clipping in Windows

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 13:44:05 EST 2015

On 19 February 2015 at 18:59, Perry Cook <prc at cs.princeton.edu> wrote:

> Ack!  This is a common problem, and I thought I had caught all of
> the clipping/distortion cases on Windows/Linux with our last
> passes on checking the source code.  I'll check it all again and
> put it in our Errata file for future ChucK/Mini releases, and future
> printings of the book.

Perry, now that you mention the OS's I'd like to share a thought. I wanted
to postpone debating OS audio infrastructure because debates on OS features
tends to lead to debates on OS preferences and the next step is likely to
be total war and so I thought I'd try to figure out what was going on on my
own. ;-)

Am I correct in understanding that you are saying the files could have been
made on OSX with the system audio gain set to -say- 0.5? Then ChucK's
output could reach peaks of -say-1.5 , it's get attunated and be at .75
when hitting the DAC; perfectly fine. In this case the audio reaching such
amplitudes at ChucK's output might go unnoticed by the file's author. Under
OS's with a audio infrastructure expressed in int's a output of 1.5 at the
ChucK dac would clip at 1 at hitting the OS's audio rating and the final
output (assuming identical system volume) would end up at a 0.5 amplitude
while being heavily clipped. Is that correct?