[chuck-users] WvOut sample size

јеромонах Виталије vitalije at kviziracija.net
Fri Jan 23 14:22:21 EST 2015

Hello,
I am a new member of this list.
I have made some ChucK program that sounds good when performed by ChucK
VM. However, when I record this music through WvOut in to file and later
play recorded file using system player, I hear some cracks (distortions,
noise).
It seems to me that it is some conversion taking place during recording.
In  the documentation of WvOut class it is suggested that MATLAB file
format will write 64-bit floats. But even with that precision I get the
same sound in file. I have looked in to the source code and found that
every method of WvOut class (WvOut_ctrl_<filetype>Filename) opens file
with the same 16-bit sample-size (Stk::STK_SINT16).

I have tried naively to change that parameter into Stk::STK_SINT32, and
recompiled successfully ChucK, but the quality of recorded sound was not
improved. Actually, file was again 16-bit signed encoded.

What can I do to improve quality of recording.

My computer is amd-64 Ubuntu 14.04. I have compiled ChucK with 'make
linux-alsa' command.

PS: I tried to record sound from system sound-card by using some other
programs for recording, but with no success. Either ChucK could not
access sound-card or a recording program could not access sound-card. It
seems that ChucK insists on having exclusive rights over sound-card and
doesn't want to share it with other programs. Even if in my browser is
opened some site that uses sound, ChucK refuses to start.

Vitalije