[chuck-users] Asynchronous FFT?

Marc Evans marc.p.evans at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 21:28:17 EST 2015

Hi all,

I'm working on a sound installation that uses ChucK for synthesis, and am
trying to figure out how to have a variety of interesting reverbs that
evoke different kinds of environments. Convolution reverb using a variety
of impulse responses would be ideal. This installation does not have any
real-time input, so delay is not really a factor.

I came across this wonderful FFT convolution example
<https://lists.cs.princeton.edu/pipermail/chuck-users/2014-November/007807.html>
that Perry Cook put together, and it's great, except that there is a click
every hop-size as (I assume) the FFT calculation takes place.

I realize that maybe there wouldn't be such a click if I used a shorter
impulse response, but I wonder if there's a way to spread out the
calculation so that it isn't all happening on one sample. Is there any way
to do the FFT asynchronously? Again, if it added more delay, it's not
really a big deal.

Thanks!

Marc

--
Marc Evans
PhD Student in Music Composition at UCSB

"We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I
don't know."
    --W. H. Auden