[chuck-users] is shred running? (Atte)

Spencer Salazar spencer at ccrma.stanford.edu
Fri Mar 6 03:48:54 EST 2015

Hi Atte,

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 2:36 AM, Atte <atte at youmail.dk> wrote:

> On 03/04/2015 06:59 PM, Perry Cook wrote:
> > Atte,
> >
> > A handy list of Shred functions (From our new Book, Appendix A :-):
>
> And where do I find this info online?

Theyre probably in a changelog somewhere, but also I am working on a new
documentation system (generated from ChucK source) which automatically
picks up new features like this. There is a prerelease version here:
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~spencer/ckdoc/

> > The ones you want are running() or done()
>
> Hmmm. Thought I could do
>
> return(Shred.fromId(myID).running())
>
> but that gives null pointer exception. Makes sense, the shred with the
> id is not running, so I get a null reference, and trying to call
> running() on that... Better is
>
> return(Shred.fromId(myID)!=null)
>
> However something strange happens in combination with
> Machine.remove(myID) that doesn't happen when I switch to
> Shred.fromId(myID).exit(). The scenario is quite complex, so for now a
> quick difference of the two ways to remove a shred would be nice...

Hmm, it would be nice if there was no difference. But there is a
difference, internally, and it appears that is leaking out of the
abstraction so to speak. So basically .exit() appears to terminate the
shred immediately whereas Machine.remove() waits until all shreds have
finished executing for this sample, i.e. all shreds are waiting => now. At
least that is what I am interpreting from the source code.

spencer

  --
Atte

http://atte.dk   http://a773.dk

Spencer Salazar
Doctoral Candidate
Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics
Stanford University

spencer at ccrma.stanford.edu
+1 831.277.4654
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~spencer/